Brace Yourselves: Winter Is Coming. For Your Skin.
Winter Is Coming for your skin - are you ready? Even if you live in a mild climate, the drastic change in season can leave your skin looking like a White Walker. To keep your skin head-to-toe smooth, hydrated, and glowing, you need these 5 Tips For A Clean, Green Winter Skincare Routine.
1. Swap your water-based moisturizer for an oil-based one. In the heat of the summer, your skin doesn’t require a heavy moisturizer as oil glands are more productive in hot weather. Come winter, skin often turns dull, dry, and flaky. Swap out your warm weather water-based moisturizer for one containing oils such as jojoba, argan, or rose hip. Oil-based formulas will help restore the skin’s natural moisture balance during cold weather. Power tip: Gently press a couple drops of a face oil (such as organic rose hip oil) into your skin after you wash your face - this will lock in moisture and give skin a dewy glow.
2. Don’t forget the sunscreen. Ok, so it’s not hot anymore, but that doesn’t mean UV rays are any less powerful. In fact, the sun’s UVA rays (the ones responsible for aging) are more powerful on a cloudy day! Keep with your sunscreen routine as the days get colder - pay extra attention to the left side of your face as it tends to get more UV exposure from your car driver-side window.
3. Stay hydrated - not just with water. When it’s not warm outside, sometimes it’s difficult to feel motivated to drink water. However, drinking adequate water is key during the winter as it is an excellent lubricant to keep your skin soft and supple. Hot (herbal) tea and hot lemon water are excellent ways to get more fluids during the colder months. Also, increasing consumption of foods such as avocado, walnuts, and salmon help keep your skin smooth and hydrated.
4. Avoid scalding hot showers, no matter how nice they may feel. Hot water can strip moisture from skin cells, thus leading to extremely dry skin. Stick to lukewarm water to help retain skin’s moisture and try to limit the length of your showers. Be sure to apply lotion immediately after showering, while skin is still damp, to maximize hydration and minimize water loss. Power tip: mix a dollop of organic unrefined coconut oil with your regular body lotion for a moisture boost.
5. Gently exfoliate - cold, windy weather can make your skin coarse and flaky. Exfoliate gently once per week to remove dead skin cells and reveal soft, glowing skin. No need to buy an expensive scrub - combine a couple of tablespoons of baking soda with equal amount of water (or coconut oil). Gently massage into your face and body skin during your shower and rinse like normal.