Turmeric, the bright orange-yellow spice used in Indian and Asian cuisine is having a moment in the spotlight. It is the next big superfood to hit the health community. Derived from the root of a plant called curcuma longa, it is an incredibly powerful antioxidant boasting strong anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Aside from adding delicious flavor to your curry and soup, incorporating this spice into your daily routine offers a plethora of health benefits. One easy way to get more turmeric into your diet is to make a delicious anti-inflammatory tea known as golden milk.
What does drinking golden milk do for the body? Packed with superfoods including turmeric, ginger, and coconut, it aids digestion, cleanses the liver and provides an immunity boost. Here is why this spice has been regarded as the most effective supplement around:
it’s a powerful detoxifer. Turmeric is a strong antioxidant that eliminates any pesky toxins you consume during the day. Drinking the milk at night allows turmeric to do its job while your body is restoring itself.
It can take care of headaches and migraines. The warmth of golden milk is soothing, but turmeric also prompts nasal drainage thereby relieving sinus pain and pressure.
It eases joint pain and soreness from working out. The anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric manage any pain and swelling in joints and muscles, whether it’s caused by working out or a chronic inflammatory condition.
It’s a mood-booster. The physical health benefits of golden milk are great, but it can also support mental health! Studies show turmeric can boost levels of serotonin and dopamine, the feel-good chemicals in our brains.
- 2C coconut milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (I like THIS one)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of black pepper (the active ingredient in turmeric is best absorbed when consumed with pepper)
- ¼ tsp ginger (powder or raw)
- ½ teaspoon raw honey
- Place all ingredients into high-powered blender; Blend until smooth and frothy
- Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add blended liquid and heat for three to five minutes until steaming. Do not boil.
- Drink immediately out of your favorite mug!